Performance Coach / Mentor / Leadership
Ric Charlesworth AO is a doctor of medicine and a former captain of the Australian Hockey team, the Western Australian State Hockey team and Cricket team.
He was elected a member of parliament in 1983 and retired 10 years later and took on the position of National Coach of the Australian Women’s Hockey Team. He is now coaches the National Men’s Hockey team.
- A bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery
- Honorary Doctorate of Science and a Bachelor of Arts - majoring in Philosophy and History
- All from the University of Western Australia
- A member of federal parliament for 10 years from 1983
- Coaching credentials include: Australian Coaching Council Level 111 Certificate 1993; FIH Master Coach 2000; Presenter ar elite coaching courses for FIH Kuala Lumpur and Perth 2002, Amsterdam 2003 and Madrid 2004
- High Performance Manager New Zealand Cricket 2005-2007 and Technical Advisor Indian Hockey 2007-2008
- Hockey 1971-1988 13 tomes National Champions, Captain 1974-76, 1981-84
- 1972-1988 227 matches (more than 130 as Captain 1977-1984) scored 90 goals for Australia
- World Cups won 2 Bronze 1978, 1982, 1 gold 1986, player of the tournament and leading goal scorer
- Selected for 5 Olympics and won Silver medal in 1976
- Champions Trophy 1980 – 88 (Gold, Silver and Bronze medalist at each tournament)
- Selected in various ‘World Teams’ between 1976 and 1986
- Cricket First Class player for Western Australia from 1972-1980, more than 2000 runs and approximately 50 games. He was 3 times
- Sheffield Shield winner and Team Captain 1979
- 1976 -79 Cricketers Hockey Club Premier League (3 times premiers in 4 years)
- 1975 Western Australia Senior State Team (Playing Coach) National Champions and Western Australia U/21 Team 1977 – 3rd and 1978 – 2nd place. Australian Women’s Hockey Team Hockeyroos ranked number one in the world for 8 years consecutively
- World Cup Women’s 1994 Dublin Gold, 1998 Utrecht – Gold
- Men’s 2010 New Delhi – Gold
- Champion Trophy Women’s 1993 Amsterdam – Gold, 1995 Mar Del Plata – Gold, 1997 Berlin – Gold, 1999 Brisbane – Gold and 2000 Amsterdam – Bronze
- Men’s 2009 Melbourne – Gold, 2010 Monchengladbach – Gold, 2011 Auckland - Gold
- Commonwealth Games 1998 Kuala Lumpur – Gold, Men’s 2010 New Delhi – Gold
- Olympic Games Women’s 1996 Atlanta – Gold, 2000 Sydney – Gold
- Only coach in men’s and women’s hockey to have coached a team to consecutive Gold medals at the Olympic Games in the modern era
- Only coach in women’s hockey to have coached a team to consecutive Gold medals at the World Cup
- Only Coach to have played and coached a team to Gold medal at the World Cup
- Champion Trophy 2012 Melbourne Gold
- World Cup 2014, The Hague Gold
- Olympics 2012 Bronze
- WA Sportsman of the Year Award 1976, 1979, 1987
- Order of Australia 1987 for services to the sport of hockey
- Australian Coaching Council – ‘Team Coach of the Year’ 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
- Inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame 1987, Inducted into Hall of Champions (WAIS) 1995
- WA Sport’s Champions of the Year of the Year Awards – ‘WA Coach of the Year’ 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2010 and 2014
- Confederation of Australian Sport – ‘Coach of the Year’ 1996, 1997 and 2000
- Western Australian Citizen of the Year 2001 for services to hockey
- 2005 selected as WA’s greatest ever hockey player and WA’s greatest coach from coaches in a wide variety of sports
- 2008 inducted in the Hockey Hall of Fame
- AIS Coach of the Year 2010
- 2011 WA finalist in the Australian of the Year Awards
- WAIS sport legend 2013
- Life Member Hockey WA 2014
- Federation International Hockey (FIH) Inaugural Coach of the Year 2014
- Charlesworth, R and Hatt, D – The Young Hockey Player, 1980
- Charlesworth, R. The Coach – Managing for Success, 2001
- Charlesworth, R. Staying at the Top, 2002
- Charlesworth, R. Shakespeare the Coach, 2004; and
- Author of numerous articles for sporting magazines and newspapers
- Style – inspirational, articulate, entertaining and passionate. Powerful and engaging.
- Role – keynote, motivational and conference speaker
- Expertise – team building, leadership, motivational, change management, a leaderful team. Being the best and staying there.
Presentation Topics Includes
- Leadership is for everyone
- Long term planning - Redefine challenges and avoid recycling
- Facing your foes to stay ahead of your foes
- Change- preparation and facing challenges
- Teamwork and team building - working together
- Motivation and inspiration
- Challenge of continuous improvement
- Chronic achievement
Ric was well prepared! Engaging and insightful. Our audience was captured.
South Australian Cricket Association
“Your presentation on the work that needs to be done to develop supervisors into leaders was excellent. The “team" message was well made and all the more practical and realistic as a result of your ability to draw on your own experience in the sporting world."
Minerals Council of Australia
“There are few certainties in life and success in our chosen field is not one of them. Richard Charlesworth knows how to turn the ‘art of the possible’ into the ‘art of the probable’ and dramatically increase the chances of getting to the top."
“The day was definitely one of the most memorable launches that we have had and your part was certainly instrumental to the success of the event. The insight you provided into your playing and coaching career and the links that you made from these experiences to our competition were particularly valuable."
Australian Cricket Board
“Excellent. Outstanding, many lessons for managers trying to improve their teams performance."
“Your speech here a year ago offered us some insight into the dedication and discipline required to achieve goals. In Sydney, and in all that led up to it, that’s a talk you well and truly walked."
University of Melbourne
“I recall your words to Westpac’s senior management team, and I quoted you often in impressing upon bank staff what was required in running a winning effort"
Stanford Graduate School of Business – Stanford, California
“You certainly are in inspiration. It was inspiring to have you with us and hear what you say. You could feel the difference the following week throughout the Company – the move to greater unity and getting on with the job."
Executive Chairman - Zip Industries
“..such an interesting motivational speaker. Those present appreciated your anecdotes and understood the comparisons you drew between the business and sporting worlds. I am sure that we can all learn from your meanings behind the ‘Tragedy’ mnemonic."
WA President - BHP Iron Ore
“Thank you for an outstanding presentation. To address us for nearly 1 ½ hours and to be able to hear a pin drop during the entire presentation, not only illustrates a remarkable presentation style but content of enormous interest which translate well to retail manager settings and achieving their business goals…I appreciate the time and effort you put in to deliver another Gold Medal performance."
Chief Operating Officer - Australian Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
“Ric’s presentation was relaxed, interesting and appealed to most of the people at our dinner function."
Dept of Consumer & Employment Protection
“Ric hit the mark perfectly for a senior executive group. His presentation which focused on high performance teams was informative andinstructive with a the right balance of humor. His approach to achieving high performance on the sporting field translates so well to team environments in the corporate world. He is one of a relatively few in the sporting arena we believe effectively bridges this divide."
“Ric was a very engaging speaker he worked with the program and developed much of his speech around the companies values. Very helpful when trying to Keep continuity throughout the conference."
MSF Event Management
“Majority of recipients found him concise, relevant and inspiring sprinkled with a touch of humor."
Mark Hay Realty