George Halkias is a well respected community figure who has supported vulnerable Australians for almost 20 years.
With post graduate qualifications in psychology, his experience includes managing a state-wide support service for victims of violent crime and training police graduates in the area of victim rights and support.
George is best known for the development of the Big Issue Street Soccer Program which uses soccer to engage and develop homeless and marginalized people. In this role he has coached and coordinated Australian teams at 6 Homeless World Cup events: Edinburgh 2005, Cape Town 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Melbourne 2008, Milan 2009 and Paris 2011.
He was instrumental in successfully bidding for and staging the 2008 Melbourne Homeless World Cup and his role included sourcing corporate sponsorship and acting as the public face of the event.
George’s experience with his team in Cape Town was profiled on the ABC’s Australian Story while his Melbourne campaign was documented by Channel 10. He has made countless appearances on television and radio and is a brilliant media performer.
Whilst still involved in the Street Soccer Program which has expanded across Australia, George also acts as a leadership coach, athlete mentor and works with prisoners with intellectual disabilities.
A unique speaker, George blends confidence, charisma and passion with insight and knowledge. His sincere and heart-felt presentations make sometimes serious topics stimulating, entertaining and uplifting. His speeches have a huge impact on his audiences and have the power not only to educate but to inspire and motivate people to achieve their best and also contribute to society. His fun and interesting stories are drawn from his unique work experience and travels captivating those who are fortunate to listen to him.
George’s presentations have been adapted to different forums that have included business functions, corporate staff development sessions, sporting functions and fundraisers.
George also has vast experience as an MC and facilitator working on some large scale sporting, corporate and community events.
• Managed the Victims Referral and Assistance Service, UN acclaimed service supporting victims of violent crime
• Trained Victorian Police graduates in the area of crime victim services, rights and entitlements
• Co-founded the Big Issue Street Soccer program including developing the program and securing funding to grow the program nationwide ( program using sport to support homeless and marginalised people)
• Coached and coordinated Australian Teams at the following Homeless World Cup events: Edinburgh 2005, Cape Town 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Melbourne 2008, Milan 2009, Paris 2011
• Played key role in successfully bidding for and staging the 2008 Melbourne Homeless World Cup
• Coach and mentor to prisoners with intellectual prisoners (since 2007)
• National Coach of the Big Issue Community Street Soccer Program, providing mentoring and professional development to staff
• Professional Speaker, community educator and MC
• Personal and professional development facilitator
• Mentor to community leaders and professional athletes
• Sports development consultant
• Mars Staff Community Leadership Dinner
• City of Bayside, Sporting Clubs and Associations Breakfast celebrating volunteerism
• Hellenic Chamber of Commerce Awards Keynote address
• Dandenong High School Leadership Camp
• Hoppers Crossing Secondary College, Careers
• Nossal Institute for Global Health, University of Melbourne - inspiring international community leaders from the Asian Pacific region
• Melbourne Heart Playing group - informational session
• Latrobe University Sports Journalism Students - guest lecturer on sports for development
• Perspective Workshops - Staff development sessions looking at contemporary community and social issues
• Sports and Community Values Workshops - George’s views on professional and community sport linking them to community development and community issues
• Leadership and culture
• Contemporary social issues and community development practices
• Corporate social responsibility
• Overcoming adversity and achieving organisational and personal change
• Personal growth and goal setting
• The power of sport to build community
• Motivation for change
• Gold Coast Suns Football Club
• Melbourne Heart Football Club
• Aged Care Conference, Department of Health
• Big Issue Street Football Festival including match commentary
• International Network of Street Papers Conference
George’s passion for helping others is truly inspirational. His presentations are professional, dynamic and moving. Listening to George is a life changing experience.
Marketing Director, Amity Group
George has the capacity to captivate an audience with his amazing stories and breathtaking commitment to human causes.
Director, Logistics Events Australia
George is truly a people person. He relates to everyone and through his positivity and encouragement makes people want to achieve their best.
Indonesian Fellows’ Public Health Leadership course at the Nossal Institute. Feedback is below – doesn’t get any better! Indonesian Fellows’ Public Health Leadership course at the Nossal Institute. Feedback is below – doesn’t get any better! "Many thanks, again, for your tremendous contribution today to the Indonesian Fellows’ Public Health Leadership course at the Nossal Institute. Feedback is below – doesn’t get any better!"
Senior Project Officer, Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Unit
"Excellent" George was personable, friendly and entertaining. His story was compelling, and all in attendance were riveted.
George was great! He read the audience really well and definately spoke to the themes of our evening. The feedback we received about George was really positive and he himself is such a gentle and inspiring man. He perfectly kicked off a wonderful Careers Night. Thanks George!
Hoppers Crossing Secondary College