Former Federal Minister for Finance and Deregulation (2007-2010), Lindsay Tanner is widely regarded as one of the Government's strongest economic thinkers and highly respected by industry leaders and economic analysts. After completing his university studies, Lindsay Tanner initially undertook his articles as a lawyer with Holding Redlich before serving as Victorian Secretary of the Federated Clerks Union. He entered Federal Parliament in 1993.He has held a variety of front-bench portfolio responsibilities including Transport, Finance and Communications before serving as the Federal Minister for Finance and Deregulation from 2007 to 2010.
Lindsay Tanner was a member of the fabled “Gang of Four" at the centre of the Rudd Government and through the Global Financial Crisis. He has a wealth of knowledge and experience across a very broad range of subjects. He was widely regarded as one of the Government’s strongest economic thinkers and is widely respected by industry leaders and economic analysts.
• Preparation and management of the Federal Budget and publication of Government accounts.
• Oversight of the operations of the Future Fund.
• Federal Government procurement, including comprehensive reform of IT, travel and property procurement.
• Financial transparency, accountability and auditing across government agencies.
• Formal ownership of Federal Government shareholdings in government business enterprises, including Australia Post, Medibank Private, the Australian Rail Track Corporation and the National Broadband Network Corporation (NBN Co).
• Leading the Council of Australian Governments Business Regulation and Competition Working Group program of 27 areas of regulatory harmonisation across Australia.
Lindsay Tanner’s vast sectoral knowledge includes transport, communications, infrastructure, finance, manufacturing, health insurance, government/bureaucracy. His diverse subject knowledge covers the areas of economics, environmental issues, social relationships, media (books published on all these) and international politics. He also has expertise in Industrial relations, having spent six years as a union leader and with his involvement in these issues as a politician.
As well as a successful political career, Lindsay Tanner has written extensively on economic and political issues, including six published books. He is the inaugural Vice-Chancellor’s Fellow at Victoria University and is an Adjunct Professor at the University. In this role he contributes as a leader in research and knowledge transfer in the area of economic, industry and social analysis, working alongside researchers in relevant faculties, research centres and institutes, as well as industry and government.
He is currently employed as special advisor at Lazard (a corporate advisory firm specialising in mergers and acquisitions, restructures and capital-raisings) and as Adjunct Professor at Victoria University. He’s also on the boards of Lifebroker and Virgin Australia International Holdings, and is Chairman of the Governance Advisory Panel for Chartered Secretaries Australia and the Australasian Railway Association.
Lindsay Tanner is an accomplished speaker who was renowned for his parliamentary performances. He has a Master of Arts and Bachelor of Law degree from Melbourne University, and is fluent in the Greek language.
• Politics with Purpose: Occasional Observations on Public and Private Life (Penguin, 2012) (with Paul Kelly)
• Sideshow: Dumbing Down Democracy (Scribe, 2011)
• Crowded Lives (Pluto Press, 2003)
• Open Australia (Pluto Press, 1999)
• The Last Battle (Kokkino Press, 1997)
• The Politics of Pollution (Visa, 1978) (with Peter Russ)
• Many opinion pieces, essays and articles
• The role of relationships in decision making
• The future of the Australian economy
• The global financial crisis
• Regulatory reform
• Corporate governance
• Public sector finance
• Infrastructure Development
• Public-private partnerships
• The Australian political system and Australia's position in the world
• Telecommunications reform
“Lindsay Tanner has spoken at a number of our events over many years, including intimate boardroom lunches, gala dinners and industry conferences. He has always been stimulating, frank and entertaining, and invariably delivers genuine value. Unlike some in the political world, Lindsay tailors his comments to suit the particular audience and avoids undue partisanship. He speaks in a way that makes politics both exciting for the assembled professionals and yet accessible to the rest of the room."
Tourism and Transport Forum and Deputy Chairman, Infrastructure Partnerships Australia.
“Excellent. Lindsay gave an excellent presentation that was tailored to the audience, honest and engaging. He certainly added considerable value and interest to the event."
L21 Pty Ltd
“The participation of a high-level political commentator such as yourself adds considerable weight and interest to a Conference Program such as ours, and I am certain your insight into our industry, gained over many years, struck a chord with attendees. Your new book “Sideshow: Dumbing Down Democracy", provides valuable insight into the media cycle and the impact on policy development, which I believe our members would have particularly appreciated.Thank you for helping to make the AMMA 2011 National conference such a success.
Director of Media, Public Affairs & Members Services.
"Very informative and interesting topic."
Credit Agricole CIB Australia Ltd